First Ghanaian president, Dr Kwame Nkrumah, has become a global icon of people’s fights against what they consider imperialism and oppression and because of this, it is only fair to remind ourselves why Osagyefo is that great. Osagyefo is an appellation without which many cannot call Dr Kwame Nkrumah. The appellation actually means “deliverer of victory (in a battle)”. Nkrumah, who won independence for Ghana, lives in the minds of millions across the globe as someone who stood up to neocolonialism and imperialism when many did not even think they were things that existed.
As such, his delivery of Ghana’s independence, as big as it is for us, is only one of the many ways people cite him as a man whose life and thoughts are worthy of note.
His intellectual conclusions live forever and the following quotes more than any other, signify why you would never forget him if you understand and believe in his thoughts.
#1.”Freedom is not something that one people can bestow on another as a gift. They claim it as their own and none can keep it from them.”
2. “I am not an African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me”
3. “We prefer self-government with danger to [slavery]in tranquility.”
4. “We have awakened. We will not sleep anymore. Today, from now on, there is a new African in the world!”
5. “Those who would judge us merely by the heights we have achieved would do well to remember the depths from which we started.”
6. “All people of African descent, whether they live in North or South America, the Caribbean, or in any part of the world are Africans and belong to the African nation.”
7. “We shall measure our progress by the improvement in the health of our people; by the number of children in school, and by the quality of their education; by the availability of water and electricity in our towns and villages, and by the happiness which our people take in being able to manage their own affairs. The welfare of our people is our chief pride, and it is by this that my Government will ask to be judged.”
8. “The struggle for African continental union and socialism may be hampered by the enemy WITHIN, – those who declare their support for the revolution and at the same time, by devious means, serve and promote the interests of imperialists and neo-colonialists.”
9.“We have the blessing of the wealth of our vast resources, the power of our talents and the potentialities of our people. Let us grasp now the opportunities before us and meet the challenge to our survival.”
10.”As far as I am concerned, I am in the knowledge that death cannot extinguish the touch which I have lit in Ghana and Africa. Long after I am dead and gone, the light will continue to burn and be borne aloft, giving light and guidance to all people.” Read more: