In September 2018, Unity Hall popularly known as Conti Power and University Hall (Katanga Hall) were converted into mixed halls.
According to hypeghnewsroom.com research, the conversion was done without reaching an agreement with
1.Students Representative Council(Src)
2.Unity Hall Executives
3.University Hall Executives
Things that made the students very angry which lead to the Demo
1. Alumini , Hall Executives , Src Executives, and Continuing Students were not allowed to enter these Halls.
2. Gyama popularly known as MORALE were banned on campus.
3. Brutality rate increased on campus
4. Hall Executives were sacked from various Halls to search for shelter elsewhere.
5. Signatories to various students accounts were changed
6. Students grievances were not heard
On Friday,19th October, the issue took another twist after 11 students including an alumnus of the university were arrested and put behind bars at the KNUST police station.
The students were reportedly beaten and brutalised by the University’s security personnel before being handed to the Police for holding a vigil without permission.
This comes after a similar incident happened on 28th September 2018, where some students were assaulted for holding a vigil( campus morale) on campus.
This subsequently led to some parents storming the police station to demand the release of their wards after they were detained.
Watch Video and Subscribe
What happened afterwards…
To be continue…